Since early 2009, the COBIAC and ZINC/ECM have met in order to formalize a common project to develop a euro-Mediterranean platform giving youth access to knowledge through books and multimedia.
Throughout the year, main partners from Lebanon, Egypt, Algeria, France and Palestine have been consulted. In through meetings and missions, COBIAC and ZINC/ECM decided to build a sustainable project based on network creation with reliable partners in order to put in place step by step long term and multilateral projects. The partnership’s guiding principle is linked to books and multimedia type aids used in practical and cultural action. The main stake is to produce and encourage synergies and foster development with professionals who work in cooperation for youth and who have developed serious links over the past years.
Although the platform’s founding members live in different countries, they are all active, working in complementarily, in cultural training, identifying and pooling experience and expertise. They are both in field and considered by professionals and beneficiaries as belonging to resource centers playing a fundamental role in developing cultural activities. The members of this platform act in the Arabic speaking and French speaking areas. They are able to work and communicate in English and they have reciprocal knowledge of contexts and approaches, a keystone for relevant partnerships
Thus, the COBIAC and ZINC are sharing their Mediterranean area expertise in order to set up a network organizing a founding meeting. This network called MEDiakitab will aim to establish a common feedback on themes in the Euromed area, enhancing cooperation axes and identifying good working practices.
The points and problems that the MEDiakitab have in common, and which involve digital and printed activities and resources.
- Partnership with libraries-schools (Bibalex , CEAlex , catholic schools, Tamer Institute).
- The reception of handicapped children (Bibalex, Tamer).
- Publishing (Tamer Institute, Petit Lecteur, CEAlex , Maison du Livre , Le Port a jauni).
Concerning needs :
- Training in the field of multimedia (Catholic Schools, Milan Libraries, Tyr Library, BDP and BMVR Marseille, Petit lecteur d’Oran…)
- Illustration, and publishing support (Petit Lecteur, CEAlex, Tamer institute, ZINC, le Port a jauni…)
- Exhibition resources (CEAlex, Petit Lecteur…)
- Support in terms of method and financing (Ministry of Culture Lebanon)
- Need for institutional links (Milan Libraries).
- Illustration for young people: the importance of the production in Lebanon.
- Training: the experience of ZINC, COBIAC, Tamer.
- The production of multimedia objects: the experience of ZINC; CEAlex, Petit Lecteur.
- Publishing for young people: the experience of Petit Lecteur, the Maison du Livre, The Lebanese Ministry.
Concerning the problems:
- Book-digital complementarity, the participants having all reaffirmed the non-opposition between the activities and the necessity of integrating the new reading and expression supports within cultural action.
- The cross-generation link: Qattan, CEAlex, Alexandria Schools.
- The development of reading for pleasure.
The main objectives of the of MEDiakitab program network are axed on:
• Gather a professional community – trainers, publishers, librarians, cultural activity officers, teachers and resource person, who work in the field of youth on the issues of reading and expression with both paper and digital means.
• Promote access to resources already existing the Euro-Mediterranean area in the field of youth policies for access to knowledge through tools and practices in time with new information and communication technologies.
• Support Euro-Mediterranean dialogue with a cross approach promoting East West as well as South Nord exchanges, and by developing good practice in each country in different languages from the area.